Today when Eli and I were cruising through the aisles of Target, we happened upon the rows holding all the peanuts, cashews, almonds, etc. We were walking slowly so Eli took notice of the rows and rows of colorful cans. He asked me, "What are those?" I always try to identify things for him so he can improve his vocabulary, which is quite impressive, though I say it myself. Because I didn't have time to name each individual nut, I generalized. "Eli, those are nuts." He furrowed his eyebrows and looked back at the aisle, then back at me. "No Mommy, those aren't nuts," then gesturing toward the crotch of his pants, "these are nuts." He wasn't trying to be funny, just simply correcting his mother. I wasn't sure what the proper response should be so I chose something like this.
"Yes." Pause. "Those are different nuts." I could have expanded on the use of slang and how it isn't always acceptable in social situations, but I left it as it was. I'll let his preschool teacher deal with that... Plus, Eli had already moved on to loudly asking what that guy was doing (when clearly referring to a woman). We had other fires to put out.
No comments:
Post a Comment