Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Turd Pie

I've never really believed I was a culinary genius, but lately, I thought I had been making some headway and could at least throw together some decent meals.  I was wrong.  It only takes one meal to knock you down to culinary-challenged status.  

While surveying the contents of my refrigerator, I discovered that my meal options for tonight were somewhat limited.  Rather than feed my husband Ramen or macaroni and cheese, I branched out.  I would try a quiche tonight.  Like usual, I googled my recipe (even though I have dozens of cookbooks) until I found one with ingredients I have, and without too many steps.  In the final steps of preparation, it dawned on me that all the ingredients would not fit in the 9" pie pan it called for.  It was like trying to stuff an elephant in a tennis shoe!  But using my gift of blind perseverance in the face of certain defeat, I pressed on.  I filled the flimsy pie pan full of ingredients until it spilled out the sides.  It occurred to me that I might want to put the quiche on a cookie sheet, lest it spill inside the oven and burn every time I turn it on.  

I am attaching a photo of the work in progress.  This literally looks like one of the single most unappetizing meals ever created.  Notice the continued spill in the oven from the uneven cooking device we have. 

Also, I might mention this.  Eli was playing at the table in the midst of my cooking crisis.  As the quiche started to bake, he kept looking around and wrinkling his nose.  Then he said, "Mommy, it stinks!  It smells like cat poop.  Mommy go change the cat poop!"  This patronizing commentary went on for many minutes.  It was not cat poop that was offending his small nose, but a broccoli mushroom quiche burning in the oven.  

I'm letting myself get to ravenous hunger before I sample my cooking gift for tonight...



No comments:

Post a Comment