Earlier this year, Eli's science class was learning about the planets and the solar system. He was so excited about telling me which planets had moons and rings. He also was able to shame his mother by naming the planets in order then asking me to check his work (now you know my only knowledge gap).
One day he asked me if I knew which planet had a funny name. He was giggling. I knew right where this was going. This is how the rest our conversation went:
Me: "I think I do."
(More giggles from Eli.)
Eli: "Do you know why it's so funny?"
Me: "Yes, because it sounds like 'Your Anus'"
Eli: (Pause) "Huh?" (Another Pause) "Because it sounds like URINE!"
Me: "Huh?"
Eli: (Giggle) "Uranus [pronounced URINE-ISS] sounds just like urine!"
Me: "I think you mean Uranus [pronounced YUR-ANUS or YOUR-ANUS]"
Eli: "No, no. Mrs. __ says Uranus [URINE-ISS]."
Me: "Hmmm. Ok."
So, I guess this is what they are saying these days. Is this a political correctness issue? Is it much less offensive to have grade school kids saying urine instead of anus?
Just think of the generations of immature kids missing out on one of the better jokes of the cosmos.
Eli will never make this comment: "Did you know you can see spots on Uranus with a low powered telescope?" or "I think Uranus smells like burning sulfur."
I guess this can go on the list of "Remember whens" I reference as I get older. For instance: Remember when phones made that pulse sound instead of a touch tone? Remember when I had shoes with pumps on the tongue? Remember when grade school girls wore sweat suits instead of mini skirts? Remember when Pluto was still a planet?
Remember when Uranus went missing?
No comments:
Post a Comment