Monday, August 18, 2008

Same Nightmare, Different Night

It is very possible that this will be a repeat blog subject, but I am too lazy to look back through my old posts to check.

Over the course of the last 5 years, I have had a recurring nightmare that causes me much anxiety and makes me wake up sweating. This isn't about being chased down and murdered or even having my limbs removed. The reason I write this blog is to tell you how stupid this nightmare really is. Each dream is basically the same, but the details are varied.

Here it is: I am walking down a hallway with people all around. I realize I am in still in high school and it is a new year. As I am walking, I realize I don't have any idea where I am going. The bell has rung and I am frantically searching for my schedule but can't find it. In my dream, I wander around, looking for my next class, but can never find it. It is a sense of helplessness and anxiety that lasts for the many hours I sleep.

This was a real situation several times in school, though not to the same extreme. It has been almost 10 years since I have been in high school, but still this fear follows me. It is aggravated by another school year starting, school supplies being purchased and a season changing. All of this happens around me but it odd to not have an active role in this. I know longer need school supplies, or fancy new clothes to show off. I don't have to think about a locker or dread P.E. So, why should I have this nightmare over and over?

What's next, nightmares about coloring outside the lines?

No comments:

Post a Comment